Friday, April 9, 2010

Brunch off! (Part 1)

I've been promising this for a long time, so I hope it doesn't disappoint. To start out, it's not a fair fight, since I have 4 Oregon brunches (3 Portland, 1 Eugene) and only 2 Minneapolis to compare. But either way, we all know brunch is the most important meal of the day, and whenever you go out to brunch, everyone wins. So I'll stop pretending this is a real competition.

When I was in Portland last month I went with friends to Cricket Cafe, Vita Cafe, and Blossoming Lotus. Partly to have a real basis for comparison, and partly because I'm kind of boring this way, I got tofu scrambles at all three. And then I had yet more tofu at Morning Glory in Eugene. (When I got back from my trip I took a serious hiatus from soy, don't worry.)

Verdict? I love brunch! And Portland is an amazing place for vegan brunch, if you know where to go. There's a tofu scramble option almost everywhere, but a lot of places really phone it in. They don't brown the tofu, they don't season anything, and it's just sort of a mess. Example: JAM ON HAWTHORNE. Example 2: GENIE'S. I do not recommend them. Jam's tofu scramble on my birthday was so bad that if I were that kind of person, it could actually have ruined my birthday. Think raw onions + plain tofu. Gives me the shivers just thinking about it.

Anyways, I learned my lesson and hit up some good spots:

Scramble at Cricket with spinach, tomatoes, and avocado. I love that they have hash browns, not just home fries. The tofu was nice and brown, and the seasoning was great.



This one with spinach, onions, and I don't remember what else, wasn't mine (and was vegan except for the sour cream on top), but also got good reviews:



Scramble with veggies at Vita Cafe - a little bland, they should season their tofu more, but at least it was browned and the potatoes and onion dill bread were really good.



Florentine Scramble at Blossoming Lotus - pesto, arugula, and a side of house-made seitan. Best un-browned tofu scramble I've ever had, I think. And their scrambles come with steamed kale! The all-vegan menu was so amazing that I think it took us almost an hour to order. Thankfully, the coffee was great and they served it with soy cream, not just soy milk. Mmm.



Here are their grits - also super good:



And their walnut chorizo salad - good, but not what I would have ordered for brunch. Some people are just so healthy...



The Fusion - Morning Glory in Eugene. It's not a scramble! But it sort of is a scramble inside of hash browns. Lots of veggies, and nicely seasoned. I should have remembered to ask for no mushrooms.



We also got a delicious vegan tempeh caesar for the table. Oh ladies how I miss hanging out with you. Not just everyone wants to split a salad for a brunch appetizer. Not so much like a real caesar, lots of dill in the dressing, but we weren't complaining.



This is only part 1 - Minneapolis brunch pics will be along shortly, once I finish transferring my photos and other files to my new computer. Sorry to see the old one go, but after 5 years and many close calls, it gave me no choice.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reviews, but I think you will have to come back to Portland ASAP, there are a couple more places we need to visit to make this complete!
    Always a delight brunching with you though:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss brunch with you ladies, too. I also just plain miss Portland brunch. Denver, as usual, has nothing on Portland in this respect. I want to move back!

    ReplyDelete