Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Bad blogger!

Me, not you. You're great.

I'm going to try posting more frequently. Since I cook every day, that really shouldn't be so hard. I'm just starting to get the hang of it, or so I think, but not so much that I can't change it up. Let me know what you like, don't like, want to see more or less of, and I'll try to accommodate! (I also just love getting comments...they make me feel fake internet-popular).



I'm not going to post about food I made today, really. Why? Because last night I roasted this beet and this turnip to put on salads, and after I turned the oven off and was making the rest of the salad, I forgot all about them sitting in the oven. Until this morning! (Don't worry - I am still eating them). So who's a food authority? Not me, that's who. Not today at least.

But you know who is?

Jeff and Amanda - www.bluehousegreenhouse.blogspot.com
All you Portlanders can buy organic heirloom veggie and herb starts from them. Can and should!

and

Jamie Oliver - http://www.hulu.com/jamie-olivers-food-revolution
This show (Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution) is about transforming the way the unhealthiest town in America eats, and it's actually really good so far. Kind of cheesy, but has a lot of good information about our food system and school food in particular. I can't believe ABC is actually airing it. I think it's on Friday nights on real TV.

It's not stuff I made, so I'll post this chana masala from an Indian restaurant a bunch of us went to in Eugene, OR last month. It was pretty good, not too exciting.



And here's some vodka I infused with blueberries I picked last Summer. I couldn't freeze them, because I was moving across the country, so I dried some, baked as many as I could into pies, and made this. I poked about 6 holes in each one with a toothpick, because someone on the internet told me to. It probably helped infuse the flavor and color some, but might not have been necessary considering most of it is still infusing 8 months later. I think most of the alcohol ended up in the blueberries somehow, because they're pretty gross tasting at this point, and the blueberry flavor entirely ended up in the liquid. Weird.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, just found your blog! The pictures are just too good, especially the chana masala! Hope it was not too spicy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited that someone found my blog! (someone I don't already know). I'll be posting more frequently now that I have a new computer. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't the point of infusing vodka with blueberries to make blueberry tasting vodka? So mission accomplished right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes that's the point. Mission accomplished. But I still think it's weird how much alcohol seemed to end up in the berries.

    ReplyDelete