Thursday, February 18, 2010

Easy Baked Apples

This fall I went apple picking near the Cities, and got a bunch of Haralson and McIntosh - the Haralson for baking, because they're pretty tart and the farm didn't have Granny Smith - and the McIntosh for eating, because they're smaller and sweeter. But it didn't really turn out that way. First I was too busy (or was it lazy?) to bake a pie, so I ate the Haralsons, then it froze early, and unexpectedly, when the rest of the apples were out on the porch. Thawed apples aren't good for a whole lot, but they did work out well baked and in sauce.

To bake apples for a really easy dessert, first cut out the cores with a paring knife, being careful not to cut all the way through the bottom.



Then put some margarine (earth balance or other non-hydrogenated), brown sugar, and cinnamon in the hole.




Then bake at 350 until they're soft, melty, and look like you want to eat them. You can also make them and reheat them later. It's not quite the same I'm sure, but hey, I was working with frozen apples and even that didn't ruin them.



I had a few more leftover after I baked those five, so I made some applesauce. I only peeled about half of them, and cooked them with a little water, a little sugar, and a little cinnamon, until all of the apples had completely broken down. Yay for not letting my negligence become the ruin of innocent apples.




Next week I'm off to Oregon for two weeks, so be ready for many pictures of brunches, cart food, and happy hours!

2 comments:

  1. Yum! Hope to see you when you're here Tarah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to buy lots of "seconds" from the apple orchard and make applesauce in my crockpot. I got like 30 lbs. for $20 last time. Anyway, I just chop them in biggish chunks, peels still on, dump them in, add a little water and cinnamon, and cook 6-8 hours or so. Sometimes I'll run them through the food processor after, but I like it pretty chunky.

    ReplyDelete