Thursday, January 21, 2010

Ode to my cast iron pan, and some random dinners



Not too long ago I finally got a cast iron pan, and I'm not sure how I cooked without one for so long. Somehow I didn't realize how non-stick and amazing cast iron is. I thought I'd share some action shots of my favorite pan, making magic with some farmer's market potatoes and kale. I've also heard that you actually get a significant amount of iron added to your diet from using cast iron, but haven't bothered to verify. I'd rather just assume it's true.



I'm also a relative newcomer to mushroom appreciation. I grew up a pretty hard-core mushroom hater, and it was one of the few childhood dislikes that survived into adulthood. But then I moved to the Northwest and tried wild mushrooms - chanterelles, oysters, and a few other crazy things that grow in the woods. Turns out they're not gross at all! I think foraging for something oneself will always make it taste better, and I credit mushroom hunting with my newly open mind. Not open to button mushrooms, though. They're still on the not-for-eating list.

I got 2 varieties of oyster mushrooms at the farmer's market a while back, and made a couple of things with them. This is oyster mushrooms and turnip greens with polenta. I just sauteed a couple of shallots and some garlic in a little olive oil (in my super awesome cast iron pan), added about 1.5 cups sliced oyster mushrooms, cooked them for about 10 minutes seasoned just with salt, pepper, thyme, and rosemary, then added a splash of white wine and a couple handfuls of chopped turnip greens and cooked another 5 or so minutes. It was really good.



This was just the rest of the mushrooms cooked similarly, but with onions instead of shallots, no turnip greens, and some roasted potatoes. The polenta was a better match, even though it was my first attempt.



I had leftover polenta, and after it firmed up in the fridge overnight, I sliced it and sauteed it, then put it on marinara sauce. It looks kind of silly I guess, but it was pretty great.

4 comments:

  1. Hey, I just got a cast iron pan too. It's so hard not to be in love. AND I am super excited about yummy mushroom experiments. I'm going to poach the shallot one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving this blog idea! So, I'm wondering what's your take on shallots? As I know they're similar to garlic and onions, I've just always skipped them. What do they add to a dish?

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Amy - I'm not sure my take on shallots is very informed, but I think of them as being more similar in flavor to onions than to garlic, but sweeter and milder than most onions, which makes them go well with more delicate flavors and simply seasoned dishes. If I'm going to make something with really strong flavors, I would probably just save the money and use a sweet onion instead, like vidalia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hooray for cast iron pans! they're the best. your polenta looks so good that i'm going to have some for lunch today. btw, i use shallots pretty regularly and really like them. i'll let you know if i find any good vegan recipes. i love your blog!

    ReplyDelete