Monday, January 18, 2010

I'm starting a blog!



I'm starting a vegan cooking and food blog, so I thought I'd start with some pictures of food I've made recently. This Fall my family had its first vegan Thanksgiving, and they were all troopers. Even the seitan roast was a hit. Luckily the Madison farmers market goes year-round, so we were able to get our veggies and some fancy oyster mushrooms from a variety of Wisconsin farms.



We ended up making seitan, potatoes with cashew-mushroom gravy, brussels sprouts, roasted root vegetables (those didn't make the picture, unfortunately, because they took forever and were still in the oven), sweet potatoes, cranberries, and pumpkin pie. It was pretty standard for a vegan thanksgiving, but everything turned out well.



I think this was my brother's plate, because we all agreed it was the most orderly.
The pie had a caramel pecan topping, and the recipe's from the Voluptuous Vegan.



I have a better picture, but it's sideways and I don't know how to turn it. So much to learn:



I have a lot of more recent food experiments and pictures, but since no one will likely be seeing them until I figure out a few more things about having a blog, I'll hold off on posting more. Thanks for stopping by!

4 comments:

  1. how do you make the seitan roast?? and can you use tofu is seitan scares the crap out of you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. actually this seitan was like a vegan superfood, because the recipe had tofu *in* it. you basically knead wheat gluten, chickpea flour, tofu, broth, and some seasonings in a mixer, then bake it for a few hours with more broth. but there are other ways to make it. if you saw what all goes in it, it wouldn't scare you anymore, i promise. but regardless, you can eat tofu whenever you want. thanks for looking at my blog buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to following this blog. I know from first hand experience that the author can cook well. It is important for our own health and the planet's to eat a more plant based diet. It is also much more cost effective. I will remain an omnivore after three years of vegetarianism. Seitan however can be quite good!

    ReplyDelete